Pursuing Compensation for Uninsured Motorist Accident Injuries in Washington State

If you’re struck by an uninsured motorist and sustain an injury in Washington state, you can pursue compensation by filing a claim with your insurance company. Discuss your options in greater detail by calling a skilled auto accident lawyer.

Sustaining an auto accident injury of any kind can be disorienting and overwhelming. Unanticipated expenses, such as medical bills, lost wages, and other costs, can lead to financial anxiety and higher stress levels. Washington state allows auto accident victims to pursue compensation to cover these unexpected costs. However, what happens if an uninsured motorist strikes you? Will you still be able to collect a settlement? Let’s take a look at your options for seeking compensation after an accident involving an uninsured party in the Vancouver or Camas area.

Auto Insurance Requirements in Washington State

Washington state law requires all motorists to carry a certain amount of mandatory liability insurance. All drivers must have liability insurance with limits of at least $25,000 for injuries or death to another person, $50,000 for injuries or death to others, and $10,000 for damage to someone else’s property. Alternatively, a Washington driver may choose to apply for a certificate of deposit to pay for liability insurance through the Washington Department of Licensing or obtain a liability bond of at least $60,000 through an authorized Washington surety bond company.

Check Your Auto Policy for Uninsured Motorist Coverage

As you begin to explore your options for securing compensation after a car accident injury, check to see whether your auto policy includes uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. If so, you may file a claim with your insurance company to initiate the process. Uninsured motorist coverage can help you receive the funds you need to pay for medical bills or other costs incurred by your injuries. In some cases, your uninsured motorist coverage can go towards damages and injuries resulting from a hit-and-run accident in which the perpetrator remains unknown.

More Ways to Pursue Compensation for Your Car Accident Injuries

Unfortunately, many Washington state residents may not have opted into uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. If your policy does not include this coverage, you can still file a claim with your insurance company and seek compensation through your personal injury protection (PIP) or collision coverage policies. Sometimes, significant injuries may require more funds than your policy allows, so you should discuss your situation with a trusted auto accident lawyer to determine the best path forward.


To learn more about your options for recovering compensation following a car accident in the Vancouver, Camas, or Portland areas, call Henderson Taylor Law Firm today at (360) 737-1478 to speak with a compassionate and knowledgeable attorney.